IETF processes (was Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels)

2010-10-28 11:58:13
On Weds, 27th October 2010, at 13:56:25 -0700, Bob Braden wrote in part:
In this environment, the only thing that seems to make sense
is for WGs to start usually at Experimental (someone else
suggested this, I apologize for not recalling who it was).

Agreed.

Most times it would be better if IETF WGs initially create
an Experimental status RFC, possibly doing so quite rapidly,
and then later revise that (based on at experience) and
publish the revision on the IETF standards-track.

Indeed, this is what the LISP WG appears to be doing.
It also is how HIP started out (initially an IRTF HIP RG,
then an IETF HIP WG with Experimental RFCs, now the
IETF HIP WG is working on standards-track RFCs).
I am trying to follow that model with ILNP, which the
IRTF Routing RG has offered to the IRSG for publication
on the IRTF track, as a set of Experimental RFCs of course.