Re: IETF processes (was Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels)

2010-10-28 13:27:45
Bob,

Metrics? Examples? Comparisons with experience with other SDOs?

Ran brought up the LISP working group as a positive example of using
EXPERIMENTAL, so let's look at it.  To get even close to being finished,
the group has had to handle 113 issues, some 59 of which were opened by
one person who applied the PS standard to opening an issue (or higher).
I certainly have seen many MANY PS docs go through with FAR fewer
issues.  As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't advise someone who wanted
to get to PS to start with Experimental.  And quite frankly, most of the
work done in the IETF is far FROM experimental, but coded and sold.

Eliot