Re: what is the problem bis

2010-10-29 15:07:21

On Oct 29, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Keith Moore wrote:

On Oct 29, 2010, at 12:36 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

In-person meeting time is used regularly for powerpoints rather than
discussion.

I've been yelled-at in WG meetings for using the microphone meeting time for
discussion, vs. position statements or questions+answers about the slides.
The complainer stated the WG mailing list was for discussion, not the WG f2f
meeting. (meanwhile I've gotten complaints about using the mailing lists for
discussion, too - some people are never happy)

In fairness, though, there isn't enough time in WG meetings for real discussion
on each of the numerous drafts.  I've found virtual interim meetings work
really well for that.

The single biggest thing that IETF could do to raise productivity in meetings
is to remove video projectors from meeting rooms, replace them with white
boards and pens, and ban use of PowerPoint and similar tools.

It's hard to get remote participants to see physical whiteboards, nor to view
them in advance.

The second biggest thing that IETF could do to raise productivity in meetings
is to ban Internet use in meetings except for the purpose of remote
participation.

But then how could we read the drafts while they're being presented? ;)

-hadriel