Re: what is the problem bis

2010-10-28 06:37:45

On Oct 28, 2010, at 5:05 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:

That the labels can be updated is a good thing, but you would have to start
with something.

People are complaining about the length of time it takes to get anything
published. Adding these extra steps of "protocol quality review",
"applicability review" etc. will only make that process even longer.

Much of this is already being done as part of internal review by IESG and the
document shepherd.  So no, merely assigning these labels shouldn't make the
process longer.

Actually (based on my long ago experience in IESG, which might or might not be
informative of the situation today) part of the reason the current process may
take so long might be that IESG is essentially trying to shoehorn a number of
different concerns into a binary decision of whether something should be
Proposed or not - and that decision often involves a lot of angst.  (e.g. when
a WG has labored for years to produce a protocol which describes a good idea,
but describes it poorly.)   Maybe the IESG could instead do its review, and
assign values to these various labels.  If it doesn't think the document yet
meets the threshold criteria for standards track, it could offer the WG or
author the option to publish as Informational - but still with these labels.
That way, readers could get a sense of the relative quality of the document and
protocol and have some improved basis with which to judge whether they should
implement it and whether it would work well for them.

Or - here's an idea - what if all that were holding up a document were stale
references or normative references to non-standard documents?   The review
could come back with Protocol-Quality=good, Applicability=wide,
Document-Quality=good, Completeness=incomplete (with the reason given as:
references to nonstandard material).  It might still not yet be labeled as
standards-track but implementors would know that the document had generally met
with favorable reviews.

Keith

Yoav