Re: No single problem... (was Re: what is the problem bis)

2010-10-29 20:03:49
Hi -

From: "Ted Hardie" <ted(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: "IETF" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 4:15 PM
Subject: No single problem... (was Re: what is the problem bis)
As is moderately obvious from the stream of commentary on this
thread and there companions, there is no *one* problem at
the root of all this.  One way to draw this is:

I wonder whether our collective non-enforcement of the last
paragraph of RFC 2026 section 6.2 has also contributed to this mess.

   When a standards-track specification has not reached the Internet
   Standard level but has remained at the same maturity level for
   twenty-four (24) months, and every twelve (12) months thereafter
   until the status is changed, the IESG shall review the viability of
   the standardization effort responsible for that specification and the
   usefulness of the technology. Following each such review, the IESG
   shall approve termination or continuation of the development effort,
   at the same time the IESG shall decide to maintain the specification
   at the same maturity level or to move it to Historic status.  This
   decision shall be communicated to the IETF by electronic mail to the
   IETF Announce mailing list to allow the Internet community an
   opportunity to comment. This provision is not intended to threaten a
   legitimate and active Working Group effort, but rather to provide an
   administrative mechanism for terminating a moribund effort.

Our current way of doing business has only a few wilted carrots
and no sticks to goad advancement efforts.

Randy