Problem with draft-sheffer-emu-eap-eke

2010-11-15 22:45:25

I just took a look at the EAP EKE document recently approved by the IESG for
publication as an Informational RFC:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sheffer-emu-eap-eke-09

The document does not define the following parameters required by RFC 5247:

1. Peer-Id
2. Server-Id
3. Session-Id

In particular, the omission of the Session-Id is a significant problem, since
this is required for EAP methods
to be usable within IEEE 802.1X-2010.

My suggestion is that ID_P be designated as the Peer-Id.  Since the Server
identity is not authenticated (just asserted), it is not clear to me whether
ID_S is suitable for use as the Server-Id.

My suggestion is that the Session-Id be defined as follows:
Session-Id = Type-Code || Nonce_P || Nonce_S