RE: IESG position on NAT traversal and IPv4/IPv6

2010-11-17 13:46:26
    > From: "David Harrington" <ietfdbh(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net>

    > is my understanding that IETF consensus is to have the industry
    > transition from IPv4 to IPv6.

That's certainly the formal IETF _position_ - whether it's the _consensus_ of
the IETF participants is another matter.

Ever since the original IPv6 decision, over 16 years ago (the Toronto IETF -
July, 1994), there has been a very considerable group of people who
disagreed. Whether or not it was large enough to be considered 'rough
consensus' is, I suspect, in the eye of the beholder.

And of course the position of the users of the network is yet another
question entirely.

So far, in that 16-year period (we're shortly going to have IETF participants
who _weren't even born yet_ when the IETF 'picked' IPv6), they have shown
little inclination to consume the dog-food.

Will the next couple of years see much change there? We'll see.

        Noel