ISOC Board of Trustees Meeting Output

2010-11-17 16:01:25
I thought that the IETF community would be interested in this information.

Russ

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ISOC] Board of Trustees Meeting Output
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:05:22 -0500
From: Donna McCague <mccague(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org>
To: <isoc-members-announce(_at_)elists(_dot_)isoc(_dot_)org>

Dear Colleagues,

The Internet Society Board of Trustees met this weekend in Beijing,
immediately following the 79th IETF meeting. We wanted to update you on
a couple of key elements following the meeting:

Firstly, a key agenda item was to determine whether to support the
planned donation in 2011 of 1Million USD to W3C as outlined in a
resolution passed last December. The board reviewed the W3C's progress
against expectations and passed the new resolution unanimously. The
donation, the second installment of the Internet Society's 2009 pledge
of 2.5M USD over three years, will continue to support the evolution of
W3C as an organization that creates open Web standards in addition to
the creation of a light-weight headquarters.

There will be a news announcement on this matter in the next 24 hours.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank our Chapters and
membership once more for the great feedback and suggestions we received
via the recent survey. This input to identify the most important focus
areas for our stakeholders is crucial to our business planning process.

Another key item discussed by the Board was the proposed Internet
Society Business Plan. This is the most detailed and ambitious plan we
have submitted to the Board to date. Feedback has been positive,
particularly around our plans for further empowering our Regional
Bureaus, providing greater support for our Chapters and Members, and
pursuing new opportunities to advance the work and awareness of the IETF
in emerging countries. We continue to strengthen our efforts to identify
new revenue producing streams in line with the guidance of the Board. We
fully expect final approval of the plan in the next 30 days.

We very much encourage ongoing feedback from our stakeholders on the
draft Business Plan. Please send any comments or suggestions you have to
businessplan(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org(_dot_)

It is also worth highlighting the significance of the location of the
Board meeting in Beijing - the IETF held a historic first event in China
following a steady increase in the participation of Chinese engineers
over the last few years. During the course of the event, the Internet
Society was also able to build on its longstanding relationship with the
Internet Society of China. Not only did several Internet Society
representatives participate in a day long Innovation Forum organised by
ISC, but the Internet Society of China also participated in the IETF
press conference alongside representatives from the other sponsors of
this 79th event - Tsinghua University and China Internet Network
Information Center (CINIC).

Best regards,

Donna

Donna McCague