Re: Last Call: <draft-salowey-secsh-uri-00.txt> (Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) Scheme for Secure Shell (SSH)) to Proposed Standard

2010-11-17 14:25:13

Several things in this draft surprised me a bit thought nothing looked
completely broken. I

You need an IANA registry for the parameters and a way new parameters get added

Do you need to say anything about encoding when the host name is an IPv6
address?

It says the fingerprint is in 4716 format but the examples have ssh-dss in them
that does not look like that format. I would have expected they type of the
fingerprint to be on the left not the right of the equal sign so instead of

fingerprint=ssh-dss-c1-b1-30-29-d7-b8-de-6c-97-77-10-d7-46-41-63-87(_at_)host(_dot_)example(_dot_)com

I would have expected

md5-fingerprint=c1-b1-30-29-d7-b8-de-6c-97-77-10-d7-46-41-63-87(_at_)host(_dot_)example(_dot_)com

I was surprised to see the c-param added to the user instead of the right hand
side of URI

so Instead of
ssh://user;foo=bar(_at_)example(_dot_)com

I would have expected
 ssh://user(_at_)example(_dot_)com;foo=bar

I was surprised that the c-param required the equal so I can not have a
parameter like  "useFooMode" but must instead have a parameter like
"useFooMode=1"

I'd be interesting hearing the logic or why the "//" - I'll point out XMPP,
SIP, email, etc don't see to have this

GIven a major use of SSH is SCP, I wish this URI worked for file paths as well

The draft says
  This document is discussed on the IETF SSH list:
ietf-ssh(_at_)netbsd(_dot_)org

I realize that was the list for the closed WG but I don't think that is an IETF
list. It is not under IETF rules and is not
listedhttp://www.ietf.org/list/nonwg.html. I would highly suggest moving the
conversation to an IETF list.