RE: IESG position on NAT traversal and IPv4/IPv6

2010-11-18 12:47:55
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of David Harrington [ietfdbh(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net]
I said (feel free to check the session recording, (ch3-fri-am 1:25),
which is where I got the following text from):

"I want to make sure you do not spend a tremendous amount of time
designing something that works for all kinds of NATs, because our goal
is to get rid of NATs [said with a grin]. It's not everybody's goal
obviously. The IESG wants to see the migration to IPv6 completed, and
one of the things that we are seriously pushing back on is anything
that will help you keep NATs around longer so you can keep IPv4 around
longer, because we believe that's a bad solution to the runout of IPv4
addressing. We recognize that right now you need to deal with IPv4
networks, so therefore you have to deal with this, but don't build a
lot of assumptions into your core protocol because we really want it
to run over IPv6 more than we want it to run over IPv4."

To my ear, that sounds a lot like what Hadriel said.  Certainly "one
of the things that we are seriously pushing back on is anything that
will help you keep NATs around longer" sounds to me like
discouragement of any comprehenaive (or even effective) NAT traversal
mechanism.

and later "we're trying to get people to go to IPv6. If you are
building something that will encourage people to stay on IPv4 even
longer, when you send this into the IESG you will get pushback."

Maybe my language was not as well considered as it should have been,
but it is my understanding that IETF consensus is to have the industry
transition from IPv4 to IPv6.

Certainly the IETF *consensus* is to have the industry transition from
IPv4 to IPv6.  But just as firmly, the IETF *realization* is that IPv4
will be around for another decade or more, with NATs, and if we want
our protocols to be used, we're going to have to deal with it.  I'm
sure that if the IETF does not provide ongoing IPv4 support, Microsoft
will do so...

Dale