Re: Last Call: draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd-07.txt

2010-11-23 14:55:57
On 11/22/2010 06:53, Tony Finch wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Doug Barton wrote:

I'm confused. If the standard is already deployed, then what is the rush to
publish the RFC?

Why bother with RFCs at all? Why not move to a zero-step standards process
and do all implementation and deployment from Internet Drafts?

Do you really want to have a contest about who can argumentum ad more absurdum?

Allow me to amplify my argument more completely. There are already 2 open source implementations of dns-sd that I'm familiar with, mDNSResponder and avahi; in addition to apple's Rendezvous. The OS versions are mostly interoperable on the protocol level, but not on the binary level. One example that I've been working with lately can be found at http://www.avahi.org/ticket/303.

In the theoretical perfect world the reason for producing a spec is so that vendors can _create_ interoperable versions of the service. That motivation doesn't apply here, so one wonders what the time pressure is.

Regarding the document itself, I have reservations about the quality of the document, and whether or not it describes the protocol in sufficient detail that someone starting from scratch could develop another interoperable version. However I tend to agree with the point of view that the world is a better place if we have _a_ spec than if we have none, so I'm specifically not asking to re-address all of the concerns that have been discussed previously with the document. However the bit about lower case labels should definitely be fixed (either by removal, a citation, or a clarification that the requirement applies only to this protocol). The other nits I pointed out were a good-faith attempt to improve the quality of the document without trying to open whole new cans of worms.

hth,

Doug

                        -- OK Go