Re: Last Call: draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd-07.txt

2010-11-19 13:31:17
On 11/18/10 4:51 AM, RJ Atkinson wrote:
IESG Folks,

   The IETF already has taken MUCH MUCH too long handling this document.
Each time this I-D gets revised, new and different issues are raised.
While I am generally OK with the way IETF processes work,
this document is an exception.

   Excessive nit-picking is going on with this document, especially
since it is already globally deployed and clearly works well.
Further, there are multiple interoperable implementations already
deployed, which is an existence proof that the current I-D is
sufficient.  This I-D is quite different from most documents heading
to Proposed Standard, because for most I-Ds interoperability hasn't been
shown and operational utility in the deployed world hasn't been shown.

   Perfection is NOT what IETF processes require for a Proposed Standard
RFC.  Please stop seeking or asking for perfection from this I-D.

   Please just publish the document as an RFC **RIGHT NOW**
and AS-IS.

   Even if IESG folks really think more document editing is needed,
then still publish it RIGHT NOW and AS-IS.  If folks really want
to see document clarifications, that can be done LATER when the
document advances along the IETF standards-track.

   Now, before the IESG go off and try to point fingers at the author
for taking time between revisions of this I-D, please consider
that the root problem is that the Goal Posts keep being moved back
so that no matter how complete one set of author edits might be,
the document can never get to a state where it is acceptable.

+1,

-Doug