RE: I-D Action:draft-yevstifeyev-abnf-separated-lists-01.txt

2010-12-06 18:47:35
I wholly agree with Bill on this.

You want something a little more complicated than you have already specified:

  {n}^({a}){m}{e} => {e} {n-1}*{m ? m-n : ''}({a} {e}) ; where n > 0
                     {e} *{m ? m-1 : ''}({a} {e})      ; where n == 0 or n
undefined

Note the n == 0 is a special case.  Note that this assumes that m > n.  There
seems little point in this construction if m == 1, but this does handle that
case.

Aside from those sorts of problems, the definition of 'a' is a little loose.
You should try to build on the RFC 5234 ABNF in your definitions.

The proposed rule has an ABNF definition something like (?):

  hat-rule = 1*DIGIT "^(" a ")" 1*DIGIT
  a = VCHAR / SP / HT / <any other separator>

That's a lot of flexibility in the internal part.  Too much flexibility.  Using
parentheses means that they need to be distinguished from the parentheses that
might appear in the 'a' part.

If you see this as a substitute for the "*" in a normal repetition rule, that
makes it easier.  Given that it has length longer than 1 character, by
providing a clear delineation of the start and end you can be more flexible on
the content.  Either that or to restrict what follows the ^.

Preferably delineate better AND restrict content:

   repeat /= hat-rule
   hat-rule = *DIGIT "^" element "^" *DIGIT

This restricts the content without preventing the use of more complex content -
you just have to use a rulename instead.

You can't use elements (note the 's') here because that sort of complexity is a
real pain to specify.

That leaves examples:

 1^";"^3element ; 1 to 3 elements separated by ;
 1^SP^element   ; 1 or more elements separated by SP rule
 ^","^3element   ; 0 to 3 elements separated by ,
 ^%x20.20^element  ; any number of elements separated by a two space characters

You should try to answer the question in the draft: why use the '^' character
instead of the '#' character?  I guess that this is an arbitrary choice more
than anything else.

--Martin