LC comments on draft-yevstifeyev-http-headers-not-recognized-08.txt

2010-12-13 18:10:20

The use cases for this draft are highly speculative and unproven, even for
something aspiring to be Experimental. I haven't seen any implementers express
interest in it.

The draft does not cover what it means for a server to "recognise" a header,
yet it places a MUST level requirement on this; e.g., if a server doesn't
actively use the "Via" header, should it list it as not recognised? What about
X-Forwarded-For? Deploying this on a server as-is means that a lot of extra
bytes will be sent in responses (and not just because the field-name is so
long, although that doesn't help). If the client sends a 'Range' header but the
server chooses not to sent a partial response, should it be listed? And so on...

It's also under-specified; e.g, I haven't seen any analysis on the interaction
of this mechanism with hop-by-hop headers, nor with content negotiation, nor
with caching.

Furthermore, the draft enables implementation of an anti-pattern for HTTP, by
offering an alternative to the 'must ignore' pattern. I understand that the
intent of the header is to enable debugging, but if it gains deployment, it
will be very tempting for developers to build on top of it.

Therefore, I recommend that this draft NOT be published as an RFC (of any kind).

Regards,

Begin forwarded message: