Re: Last Call: draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd-07.txt

2010-12-14 19:08:33
On 21 Nov 2010, at 8:44 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

That said, I'm reasonably supportive of the draft moving forward

Thanks.

1. In Section 4.1, 4th full paragraph, the bit, " (because of the limitations of the typing-based user interfaces of that era)" should be stricken. It does not add value to the clarity of the text, nor would arguing about whether it's correct or not.

I see your point, but I think the text provides useful context to remind readers about the user-interface considerations of that era -- especially young readers who don't remember the time when computers only had text-based interfaces.

2. In that same paragraph, shortly after the above, "from a list of choices presented on the screen ..." should be something similar to "from a list of choices presented by the user interface ..."

Very good point. Of course, the concept of having a screen doesn't even apply to Apple's new telepathic-projection antimatter-powered iPhone. We've updated the document accordingly.

One could also argue that the "not intended to ever by typed in" should be replaced with the appropriate 2119 language.

The text is illustrative, not prescriptive. We have changed the text to say this:

   Users generally access a service not by typing in the Instance Name,
   but by selecting it from a list presented by a user interface.

3. In Section 7, 3rd full paragraph, it says, "conforming to normal DNS host name rules: Only lower-case letters ..." The "normal DNS host name rules" [citation required] do not permit only lower case letters. I do think however that it would be ok to spell out that this protocol requires that, like what was done with disallowing names without an alphabetic.

Good catch. We have removed the incorrect and irrelevant side comment mentioning "normal DNS host name rules":

   Application Protocol Names may be no more than fifteen characters
   (not counting the mandatory underscore), consisting of only letters,
   digits, and hyphens, must begin and end with a letter or digit, and
must contain at least one letter. The requirement to contain at least one letter is prevent service names such as "80" or "6000-6063" which
   could be misinterpreted as port numbers or port number ranges. While
   both upper case and lower case letters may be used for mnemonic
   clarity, case is ignored for comparison purposes, so the strings
   "HTTP" and "http" refer to the same service.

This is however just temporary text, and will be removed entirely when draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports is published.

4. I'm not sure Section 15.2 needs to be in the document at all, although I am not formally opposed to its inclusion.

User interface considerations were a central aspect of the design constraints for DNS-SD and mDNS. Rather than design a protocol first and then work out the UI second, with DNS-SD and mDNS we first worked out the user experience we wanted, and then designed the protocols to provide that user experience. This section explains how those requirements influenced the design decisions for the protocol.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>
* Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Inc.
* www.stuartcheshire.org