Re: Wikipedia (was: Re: Clarification for Copyright to referred material in IETF draft)

2010-12-14 20:02:51

On Dec 14, 2010, at 6:07 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

The problem I have with this is not the content (presumably the author of
the I-D is vouching for any references they use), it's that the content can
change at any time.

Hi Marshall.  Mediawiki (the software behind Wikipedia and a lot of other
sites) solved this problem years ago.  It is possible to link to a specific
version of any article on a Mediawiki site.  Just look for the 'Permanent
link' link on the page.

In my experience very few sites linking to Wikipedia use this capability,
proably because they don't know about it.  Ideally anyone linking to
Wikipedia from an article would link to the specific version so that the
reader sees exactly what the author saw when they wrote the article.

More recent versions of Mediawiki advise that the copy of the page is old and
provide a link to the latest version.  That's fine too.

Eg, here is a link to a version of the IETF article from yesterday:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Internet_Engineering_Task_Force&oldid=390092590

Then (although this is the IESG's call and this is just my opinion), I think
that the IETF should require this usage in anything published.

Regards
Marshall

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert(_at_)timetraveller(_dot_)org            Linux counter ID #16440
IRC: Solver (OFTC & Freenode)