Re: Wikipedia

2010-12-15 11:18:13
On 14.12.2010 22:10, Tony Hansen wrote:
On 12/14/2010 3:27 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
The problem I have with this is not the content (presumably the author
of the I-D is vouching for any references they use), it's
that the content can change at any time.

The problem with referencing *any* web page, whether it's Wikipedia or
otherwise, is that the content can change at any time. So you not only
need spatial coordinates (the URL), but also the temporal coordinates
(date and time) for *when* the pertinent data was accessed and found to
be on that web page.

It depends.

There are cases where you *want* the current version, not the one current when the document was published. For instance, <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-06#section-5.4> has:

   This is not an exhaustive list.  Many more are supported by numerous
   applications.  For more examples, consult Wikipedia's entry on the
   "about: URI Scheme" [wikiabout].

...which I personally think is totally fine.

Best regards, Julian