Re: Wikipedia

2010-12-14 15:11:28
On 12/14/2010 3:27 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
The problem I have with this is not the content (presumably the author of the
I-D is vouching for any references they use), it's
that the content can change at any time.

The problem with referencing *any* web page, whether it's Wikipedia or otherwise, is that the content can change at any time. So you not only need spatial coordinates (the URL), but also the temporal coordinates (date and time) for *when* the pertinent data was accessed and found to be on that web page.

Interestingly enough, the "rules" for external references in Wikipedia also require the temporal coordinates to be recorded. And for Wikipedia itself, for any given date and time you can always pull up in the history what the page had on it right then.

    Tony Hansen
    tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com