Re: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2010-12-21 10:43:51
On 15.07.2009 11:13, Julian Reschke wrote:
Randy Presuhn wrote:
No need to manually edit.

Use the macros or awk / sed to spit the toc into a file which can be
inserted
into the correct position by the .so nroff directive. This will result in
a table of contents in the correct position. There is the possibility
that if the number of toc pages has changed from one iteration
to the next that the page numbers will be off by one, but that will
go away the next time the process runs.

For editing a document, particularly a largish one, the availability of
.so is for me nroff's biggest advantage over xml2rfc.

Randy,

I've been spending some time looking at the feasibility of using NROFF for IDs while retaining features like automatics generation of the TOC in the *right* place.

Funny enough, googling for this topic leads me back to this thread (and nowhere else, it seems).

So, I do understand how generate the ToC at the end, and I'll probably grok .so, but what is needed to extract the ToC into a separate file? Is there anything in nroff supporting that, or were you just referring to a set of homegrown tools? Also, as far as I can tell, the generated ToC will already be paginated, so do you post-process it again so it can be inserted properly?

Best regards, Julian