Re: New Year's Exploration: Changing the Internet's Infrastructure

2010-12-31 11:38:56
Hey Dave,

I admire your desire for "clarity" on this subject, but fear you will be
disappointed.

ISTM that the success of changes to the infrastructure depends on the value
those changes deliver to participants in the Internet economy -- i.e., the pain
of the problem they solve.  Your two examples are actually very appropriate
here: IPv6 and DNSSEC both moved very slowly until (1) people started to not
have enough numbers to grow their networks, and (2) Dan Kaminsky put the fear
of God in people.

So the question is rather how many problems there are in the current
infrastructure that cause people enough pain to do something.  I think there
are at least a couple (improving BGP security, for example), and the number
will probably slowly shrink over time, but in the long run, I expect there will
ultimately always be a few big things that need to be done that can't be done
in end systems.

--Richard