Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-01-27 19:37:34
At 19:29 26-01-11, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
1/ I still do not think this (modified) proposal will have any real
   impact on the number of "Proposed Standard" documents that move
   to a (in this proposal, "the") higher level since I do not see
   how this makes any significant changes to the underlying reasons
   that documents have not progressed in the past - i.e., I see no
   reason to think that this proposal would change the world much
   (would not help, would not hurt)

If this draft is published, there may be more documents moving to the next level. There has been some comments about stated requirements for Proposed Standard being restored. It requires more than a BCP for that to happen.

In Section 2:

 "Reconsideration of the portions that were previously approved for
  publication as a Proposed Standard requires evidence that the
  unchanged features are causing harm to the Internet."

I gather that there won't be any requirement for interoperability.

That draft does not say which sections of RFC 2026 are being updated. As I do not have any IETF experience, I'll defer to what the elders of the IETF have to say about BCP 9 if it ever becomes subject to interpretation. :-)