Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-01-27 01:29:21
+1 on all points, especially the first one.

   john

--On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 22:29 -0500 "Scott O. Bradner"
<sob(_at_)harvard(_dot_)edu> wrote:

1/ I still do not think this (modified) proposal will have any
real    impact on the number of "Proposed Standard" documents
that move    to a (in this proposal, "the") higher level since
I do not see    how this makes any significant changes to the
underlying reasons    that documents have not progressed in
the past - i.e., I see no    reason to think that this
proposal would change the world much    (would not help, would
not hurt)

2/ I think the proposal must specifically deal with the 2026
IPR licence    requirement in section 4.1.2

      If patented or otherwise controlled technology
      is required for implementation, the separate
implementations must       also have resulted from separate
exercise of the licensing process.

   The requirement can be dealt with by explicitly discarding
   it or by including it. But not mentioning the requirement
does    not make the issue go away.  This requirement was, in
theory, a    way to keep the IETF/IESG out of the business of
evaluating    the fairness of licensing terms.  I can remember
only    one time it came up (in an appeal) so getting rid of
it may    be fine - but don't make it look like it was just
forgotten.
3/ I think you also be quite specific as to how to decide that
the    conditions for advancement have been met - one of the
big    implementation issues with 2026 was knowing how to
decide    that a technology was ready to be advanced (did you
need    a spreadsheet listing all features and noting with ones
   had been multiply implemented (as was done at huge effort
for HTTP 1.1) or is there someting simplier - clear rules
would help avoid this type of issue in the future

4/ as part of #3 - the rules should also specifically deal with
   the following pp from 2026

      The requirement for at least two independent and
interoperable       implementations applies to all of the
options and features of the       specification.  In cases in
which one or more options or features       have not been
demonstrated in at least two interoperable
implementations, the specification may advance to the Draft
Standard       level only if those options or features are
removed.

   this requirement was included to try to remove cruft from
protocols    as they went forward - maybe this is no longer a
desire but,    like with the license issue, a specific mention
of what has    been decided would mean that people would not
think that    things were not just forgotton.

Scott