Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-01-24 12:39:46
It seems to me that this proposal strikes a good balance in making an effort to improve the situation regarding our document track.

Regarding the particular clause:

2. I found this statement to be strange:

    The intention of the two-tier maturity
    ladder is to restore the requirements for Proposed Standard from RFC
    2026.

Why "restore"? Have they been superseded or ignored? I suggest "retain".

I think the use of the word "restore" is very important. Over the years, our informal requirements and our sense of what was needed for Proposed Standard have moved up noticeably. This reflected a number of factors, all of them driven as best I can tell by good intentions. Restoring the lower bar for PS is probably the most direct benefit this proposal can have on our work.

Separately, the replacement of the requirement for verified interoperability with the assumption of interoperability based on wide deployment is an understandable compromise. I am not sure I like this change, but I can live with it, which is good enough.

I do like the more relaxed wording on the removal of unused features.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern