Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-01-24 12:57:22
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Joel M. Halpern
<jmh(_at_)joelhalpern(_dot_)com>wrote:

It seems to me that this proposal strikes a good balance in making an
effort to improve the situation regarding our document track.

Regarding the particular clause:

 2. I found this statement to be strange:

   The intention of the two-tier maturity
   ladder is to restore the requirements for Proposed Standard from RFC
   2026.

Why "restore"? Have they been superseded or ignored? I suggest "retain".

I think the use of the word "restore" is very important. Over the years,
our informal requirements and our sense of what was needed for Proposed
Standard have moved up noticeably.  This reflected a number of factors, all
of them driven as best I can tell by good intentions.
Restoring the lower bar for PS is probably the most direct benefit this
proposal can have on our work.

I would like that to be possible, but I would settle for just being able to
make Standard status feasible.

One of the side effects of most drafts deadlocking at Proposed is that
people don't want to let anything 'bad' go through and that often means
something that people 'feel uncomfortable with'.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/