Re: Last Call: <draft-cheshire-dnsext-special-names-01.txt> (Special-Use Domain Names) to Proposed Standard

2011-01-28 13:44:44
Hello all,

2011/1/28 Magnus Westerlund <magnus(_dot_)westerlund(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com>

I've reviewed this document as part of the transport area directorate's
ongoing effort to review key IETF documents. These comments were written
primarily for the transport area directors, but are copied to the
document's authors for their information and to allow them to address
any issues raised. The authors should consider this review together with
any other last-call comments they receive. Please always CC
tsv-dir(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org if you reply to or forward this review.

My comments on the document are:

1. Section 3. I wonder if "Standards Action" is the most appropriate
rule here. My concern with this is that any other body must perform the
work in the IETF and give IETF full change control over this proposal.
This might intended, but I wonder if it is the most appropriate policy.
My suggestion would be to allow IESG approval as a policy also to give
some freedom in the strange cases. I do think an IETF standards RFC is
the preferred way for doing this, but it might be overly restrictive.

Therefore, I'd like to propose the 'IETF Consensus' or 'IESG Approval' as
the first the most preferable.

2. Section 6.
Why doesn't this document populate this registry with some initial
values. The document it self already lists some of these. So why not
include the ones and a note that they are legacy and does not come with
the new required consideration section?

I also commented this section saying the registry, created by this document
is underspecified and does not contain clear guidelines for IANA per RFC
5226.

Finally I really do not know why this document has the intended status
'Standrds Track'.  It is rather the candidate for BCP.

All the best,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund