Re: RFC production center XML format usage, was: [IAOC] xml2rfc and legal services RFPs

2011-02-24 08:42:50
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 01:59:23PM -0500, Dave CROCKER wrote:

I was impressed with just how steady that increase appears to be over a
reasonably extended period of time, as well as its seeming to be around
70%, not 50%, now.

Pretty serious 'market' domination...

I submit that this is a consequence of the submission process.  The
idnits tool is now an effective gatekeeper against people who are
preparing documents with something other than xml2rfc and, maybe, the
*roff gui that's available.  As a WG chair of a WG with a lot of
participants who have older toolchains, I field regular complaints
about how difficult it is to get things by idnits.  My stock advice is
to use xml2rfc, which is always being updated exactly so that it
conforms to the latest physical layout rules.

I personally think this is sort of a shame, because it reminds me of
other (near) monocultures based on tools that are considerably worse
than the state of the art (Word is my favourite example).

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.