Re: Request for review of draft-yevstifeyev-genarea-historic-03

2011-03-03 05:56:49
On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:27:21AM +0200, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
2011/3/2, Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>:

imprecise.  For one, it is hard to observe what is going on on the
Internet, and those who do don't usually share their data (there is
some, but it is often regionally based, like the GINORMOUS store at
ETHZ).  Another issue is that a protocol that is not detectable on the
Internet might be in use on private networks.

When we say 'out-of-use' we consider the usage of something in the
overall Internet.  It is mostly not very difficault to find this out
via those people who take part in the IETF.

If I read the above exchange correctly, Eliot Lear points out that it
is difficult to observe what's going on all over the Internet, on the
premise that the Internet is a bunch of interconnected networks and
you can't be sure that you've actually observed all of those networks
(some of which might be closed to you).

In response, Mykyta Yevstifeyev says, "Oh, that's not hard.  People at
the IETF know."  This has no supporting argument for it at all.

I would like to suggest that the former position is the better one to
take.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.