Re: Request for review of draft-yevstifeyev-genarea-historic-03

2011-03-03 09:11:57
There are, in my opinion, two problems with Mr. Yevstifeyev's assertion below that it is easy to determine when things are out of use. The first point, to echo Andrew Sullivan, is that even if a protocol is in use on the public Internet, it is not always easy to detect. It may be used in only some portions of the net. It may be used inside some other protocol that makies detection ahrder. The second point is that enterprise uses and other private network uses are still valid uses. The fact that a protocol may be used only inside a virtual private network, or only inside a corporate data center, or in only within a military facility, does NOT mean that it is not used. Such limited use is still valid use and should not result in our declaring something obsolete.

Yours,
Joel