Re: I-D Action:draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-04.txt

2011-03-15 14:09:17
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev
<evnikita2(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hello,

2011/3/14, Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>:
There are numerous improvements in this version and I hope we
can get consensus soon.

Just a couple of remarks on
 5. Transition to a Standards Track with Two Maturity Levels

1) Probably there should be a statement that all existing
   Internet Standard documents are still classified as Internet Standard.
   That may seem blindingly obvious, but if we don't write it down,
   somebody will ask.

2) More substantively,

   "Any protocol or service that is currently at the Draft Standard
    maturity level may be reclassified as an Internet Standard as soon as
    the criteria in Section 2.2 are satisfied. This reclassification is
    accomplished by submitting a request to the IESG along with a
    description of the implementation and operational experience. "

I'm a bit concerned that this doesn't scale, and we will be left
with a long tail of DS documents that end up in limbo. One way to avoid
this is to encourage bulk reclassifications (rather like we did a bulk
declassification in RFC 4450). Another way is to define a sunset date,
e.g.

   Any documents that are still classified as Draft Standard two years
   after the publication of this RFC will be automatically downgraded
   to Proposed Standard.

I'm personally not sure whether such operations will be acceptable.
If there is a Draft Standard, it means that it is more mature that
Proposed Standrad.  Therefore downgrading DSs to PSs does not seem a
good idea personally for me.  It is better to say that DSs should
remain in this maturity level until properly advanced to FS, obsoleted
or moved to Historic status.

All our experience shows that unless we have a firm sunset date, the job
will never be finished and in fifty years there will still be DS documents.

If nobody cares - the document will be downgraded. What's the problem
with that? It will still be on the standards track.

(Automatic downgrading to Historic would be a different matter.)

     Brian