RE: [Int-area] Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-server-logging-recommendations-02.txt> (Logging recommendations for Internet facing servers) to BCP

2011-03-17 10:38:03
Dear all,

This is a late comment but I think it is worth raising it.

This I-D recommends to log the source port number for internet-facing servers.
But due to the presence of load-balancers in the path, the "original" source
port may be lost. The source port number that will be passed to the target
server may not be accurate and hence does not meet the initial requirement.

Of course, the same issue applies for the source IP address. The only
difference is that there are tool to convey the source IP address in
application headers for instance. There is nothing equivalent at the
IP/transport/application level for the source port.

You don't think it would be valuable to record the issue in the draft?

FWIW, below a text describing this issue.

"
2.1. Preserve Source Port Number

   In order to implement the recommendation documented in
   [I-D.ietf-intarea-server-logging-recommendations], extensions are
   required to preserve the source port number and to avoid this
   information to be lost when load-balancers are involved in the path.
   Examples of mitigation solutions are provided below:

   1.  Extend XFF to convey the port in addition to the IP address

   2.  Define a header similar to XFF to convey the source port

   3.  Extend the TCP Option to convey the source port

   4.  Enable the Proxy Protocol [Proxy]."

Cheers,
Med