Re: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2011-03-17 11:36:36
On 3/17/2011 12:26 PM, John Levine wrote:
If this (running NroffEdit as a postprocessing step) could be
established as standard procedure, this would simplify the output target
for the xml2rfc SoW.
The current xml2rfc already does pagination and generates the TOC for
the text version, so the extra work to emit them surrounded by nroff
codes should be pretty minimal.

If we're going to put more work into xml2rfc, I would much rather
figure out what the production people are doing with nroff that
xml2rfc doesn't currenty do, and add twiddeles so they can do that in
xml2rfc and skip the nroff completely.

Yup, this exactly matches conversations I and others have been having with the RFC production center.

Conversations along these lines have also been a part of why there's the xml2rfc SoW currently in progress: to generate a better code base from which modifications to xml2rfc can be more easily made.

    Tony Hansen
    tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com