Re: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2011-03-24 17:11:01
But you are probably pretty experienced user and you probably spent some
time setting up your environment to get where you are.

The answer is no to both. When I first started using xml2rfc I don't think I
had written a single line of XML. As for setting up the editing environment, I
installed a new version of BBEdit, done.

The hard part was actually getting xml2rfc up and running. This was back when I
was using Mac OS 9, and getting that combination working was a bit of a pain.
(I think my directions on how to do it eventually ended up in the readme.)

Since then I've done much more advanced work with XML involving schemata,
Relax, stylesheets, and so on and so forth. BBEdit is in no way adequate for
that stuff, and truth be told I'm not happy with any of the more powerful tools
I've tried. (I'm currently limping along with Exchanger, but it hasn't been
updated in a long time.)

I believe having to deal with markup syntax poses a significant barrier to
those not as experienced as you.

I realize that's your belief. But after having watched multiple technical
neophytes learn how to produce better results with TeX than I usually can - and
when it comes to markup, the rules for XML are the essence of simplicity
compared to TeX - it is not a belief I share.

I believe you are right, looking in the mirror. But time changes. I think
this is an area where open source development and open source libraries
really has provided a revolution. If we start with creating the
specifications that would allow such tool to be created, then you don't
need a huge software organization and kazillions of dollar any more to
piece together something that actually could be really useful..

I know I'm an idealist.. I still believe in simplicity.

As do I, but what I'm not seeing is an approach that leverages all the stuff
you mention to actually produce a different outcome.

                                Ned