Re: [IPsec] PSK with IKEv2

2011-03-27 07:50:09
(Co-author hat on)

PACE (draft-kuegler-ipsecme-pace-ikev2-05) negotiates its own use during IKE_SA_INIT by exchanging a notification that signifies that both peers support the extension. I would recommend that the other two protocols be extended with a similar exchange of notifications. Then the responder can decide which (if any) of them it supports and respond accordingly, and the initiator can start the next exchange already knowing how it can proceed.

However let's not forget that falling back to PSK authentication using a short password would be vulnerable to a MITM+dictionary attacker.

(WG co-chair hat on)

I share your disappointment with this outcome.

Thanks,
        Yaron