Re: Call for a Jasmine Revolution in the IETF: Privacy, Integrity, Obscurity

2011-03-27 07:48:56
Hi Joel,

RFC 2804 "IETF Policy on Wiretapping" was written by the IESG and the IAB.

From the abstract:

   The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) has been asked to take a
   position on the inclusion into IETF standards-track documents of
   functionality designed to facilitate wiretapping.

   This memo explains what the IETF thinks the question means, why its
   answer is "no", and what that answer means.

Security protocols are in general designed to prevent wiretapping (in certain
threat models, i.e. depending on where you consider the adversary is).

Ciao
Hannes