Re: Call for a Jasmine Revolution in the IETF: Privacy, Integrity, Obscurity

2011-03-23 10:43:27
On 3/23/2011 12:02 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
On Mar 23, 2011, at 6:52 AM, SM wrote:

The IETF can only address the technical problems.

This is an argument I often hear. I do, however, believe that you cannot see
technology in isolation.

That's because you are being a political animal and not a pure technologist here which violates the charter of the IETF in spades.

If the IETF is only set up to standardize technology then it cannot refuse to accept anything, further its members who try and block protocol's standardization regularly commit antitrust and TI by sabotaging various initiatives, and IMHO they need to be formally spanked (by lawyers) and sent to bed with no supper. There is no political or legal activity of the IETF in its standardization practice and it cannot implement social policy around what it standardizes and doesn't IMHO.
However, in many cases the technology, regulatory environment, business
aspects, and the social context gets mixed together.
Please have a look at: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-morris-policy-cons-00
only in the limited world of Social Networking...

Todd Glasssey

Ciao
Hannes