Re: Call for a Jasmine Revolution in the IETF: Privacy, Integrity, Obscurity

2011-03-23 00:34:45
Hi Alessandro,
At 08:23 22-03-2011, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
messaging system.  I agree that current Internet mail, with its one-figure
legitimate traffic percentage, is a conspicuous representative of IETF's hall
of shame.

There are many things that might be suitable for the IETF's hall of shame but this is not one of them. Many years ago, a research group about anti-spam was set up. That was one way for the IETF to respond to the problem.

There are technical problems and social or political problems. The IETF can only address the technical problems. It is up to the people who adopt the technical solutions to address the social and political problems. They do not do that. Instead, they pretend, or assume out of ignorance, that the IETF has solved all the problems and the magic of technology will do the rest.

Sometimes the technical problem can only be addressed by making a social or political choice. The IETF could turn that one-figure percentage into two if there was consensus on what the choice should be.