Re: Call for a Jasmine Revolution in the IETF: Privacy, Integrity, Obscurity

2011-03-11 19:14:17

On 11/03/2011, at 5:07 PM, Dean Willis wrote:

On Mar 10, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

This will have the effect of isolating some companies and countries from the
Internet. Is that a good outcome?

You mean some third-world (or soon to be) junta-dictator might officially and
deliberately cut their economy off from the world's communication networks,
thereby insuring economic failure, rather than suffer the risk that their
citizens might be exposed to external influence or use the Internet to
complain about or conspire against their "lawful leaders", rather as North
Korea has done?

I'm OK with that. It helps bring about their failure due to economic collapse
rather than requiring outside force to stop their depredations, although it
might take a few generations to work.

... compared to the much faster social changes that have been witnessed in
places where there's been even partial exposure to external information, that
seems like a poor outcome. Collapse is messy and very dangerous for the people
you want to help.

I'm also okay with air-dropping satellite terminals and television receivers
to their victims, and with beaming high-power wireless signals across their
borders in order to speed things up.

And how likely are those things to actually happen and have a measurable
effect? Seriously.

I have severe doubts about whether this is an appropriate and capable forum for
making such weighty judgements. YMMV.

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/