Re: [paws] WG Review: Protocol to Access White Space database (paws)

2011-04-20 04:26:50
Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

On 4/19/11 1:47 PM, Paul Lambert wrote:
How does the area that the group is assigned impact the choices of
technology?

I'm an advocate for an efficient solution set for PAWS ... it will be
much like DNS for spectrum in the future and should be viewed as a
core infrastructural component that needs careful design.  There are
good reasons that routing protocols don't use XML.

Applications now days tend to go for the simple, quick to make a web
application solutions using XML or the like ...  My concern is that
"Applications" imply that efficiency does not matter.
Absolutely not. There are several counter examples in Apps, both past and present. (E.g. Lemonade WG was about optimized use of bandwidth for IMAP.)

A quick look at the specifications for the CORE WG in the Applications
Area will show you that we're able to produce protocols that are quite
slim on the wire.

Exactly.