Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

2011-05-05 15:00:13
I think this draft may do a little good, but mostly based on the
attention it brings to the issue.

If it is actually desired to make it easier to become a Proposed
Standard, it would be quite easy and straightforward to take real
steps that would make a real different. For example, to *prohibit* the
requirement of multiple interoperable implementations, a requirement
sometimes applied in an inconsistent and haphazard manner to
candidates for Proposed Standard.

On STD numbers, they were an interesting experiment but I believe, as
currently implemented, they have been proven to add only confusion and
bureaucracy. It would be quite easy and straightforward to have a
different document sequence for Standards. For success in this, it
would be essential to assure that they do *not* have RFC numbers.
History shows that, regardless of other labels, if a document has an
RFC #, most references to it will be via that number.

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Scott O. Bradner <sob(_at_)harvard(_dot_)edu>