Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

2011-05-06 06:08:28
On Fri May  6 11:44:48 2011, John Leslie wrote:
Dave Cridland <dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net> wrote:

> To quote from draft-bradner-ietf-stds-trk-00 (paraphrasing newtrk).
>
> 4/ there seems to be a reinforcing feedback loop involved: vendors > implement and deploy PS documents so the IESG tries to make the
>      PS documents better
>
> This is the core issue, which far from addressing, the proposal tries > to discard the feedback loop, stick its fingers in its ears, and sing
> la-la-la-I'm-not-listening.

Please excuse the hyperbole -- Dave's just trying to get our attention.

I concede that the draft neither has fingers nor sings; the point remains valid however.

> The fact remains that vendors treat PS maturity RFCs as "standards".
> By reverting to the letter of RFC 2026, this will undoubtedly
> increase confusion - indeed, it's apparent that much of the deviation
> from RFC 2026 has been related to this very confusion.

Nothing we put in a rfc2026-bis will change this. Nothing we put in
a rfc2026-bis _CAN_ change this.

I'm in total agreement with this, which is why I'm so against a proposal which exacerbates the issue.

If we want to change this, we need to start putting warning-labels
in the _individual_ RFCs that don't meet a "ready for widespread
deployment" criterion.

I do not believe this will work, actually.

In general, I think boilerplate warning messages get ignored - people quickly learn to expect and ignore them as routine - and I don't think we're likely to be able to construct unique and varying warning messages for every RFC we publish.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net