Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt> (Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to Historic status) to Informational RFC

2011-06-07 08:39:08
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 08:56, George, Wesley
<wesley(_dot_)george(_at_)twcable(_dot_)com>wrote:

From: v6ops-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:v6ops-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
TJ
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:33 AM
To: Tim Chown
Cc: v6ops(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org WG; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt>
(Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to
Historic status) to Informational RFC

It's time to remove the stabilisers on the IPv6 bicycle.
I agree, but get me native everywhere before taking away one connection
mechanism that does work.

This takes nothing away. It's not as if the day that this draft gets
published as an RFC, 6to4 stops working. IETF has moved other protocols to
historical status before they were out of heavy use, with the expectation
that it would take some time for the alternatives to be deployed and
existing implementations to be retired. This is specifically why we resisted
the idea of putting in a shutdown schedule or other flag day where the 6to4
prefixes get null-routed, because it's likely to be different in each
network and application.

"In order to limit the impact of end-users, it is
  recommended that operators retain their existing 6to4 relay routers
  and follow the recommendations found in
  [I-D.ietf-v6ops-6to4-advisory].  When traffic levels diminish, these
  routers can be decommissioned."

Wes George

I agree with the end goal here, but for a mechanism that relies on the good
will of others (relays) changing it to "historic" could have a more-abrupt
impact on those who use the mechanism than in other cases of similar
demotions.  That is my concern.

 /TJ