Re: Repetitions and consensus

2011-07-12 01:37:34
Brian,

I repeat, you are right.

Your statement might receive even full consensus ;-)

Regards,

Géza

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi,

We quite often discuss here how to judge rough consensus. In a completely
non-IETF
context, I came upon a reference to an article published in 2007 with the
catchy title
"Inferring the Popularity of an Opinion From Its Familiarity: A Repetitive
Voice Can
Sound Like a Chorus". Here's an extract from the abstract:

"...people do not always correctly estimate the distribution of opinions
within their group. One important mechanism underlying such misjudgments
is people’s tendency to infer that a familiar opinion is a prevalent one,
even when its familiarity derives solely from the repeated expression
of 1 group member. Six experiments demonstrate this effect and show that
it holds even when perceivers are consciously aware that the opinions come
from 1 speaker."

The article by Weaver et al was in the Journal of Personality and Social
Psychology, 2007, Vol. 92, No. 5, 821–833. I found it at
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/psp-925821.pdf

--
Regards
  Brian Carpenter