Re: Repetitions and consensus

2011-07-13 14:23:02
The process seems to be today what I call "Consensus by Osmosis." People get tired of the highly mixed discipline subjective philosophies, many times subject to personal agendas, and conflict of interest, many get shouted out even to the extent of ignorance at the suggestion of key cogs. So even if there was a healthy sampling of participants, at some point, its filtered by osmosis and often there is already an handicap with editors providing +1s the WG has to overcome when a change is in disagreement but doesn't reach the "rough consensus." In my view, the process is outdated. It may sense 20-30 years ago when there were still a world of unknowns and hard "rough consensus" decisions had to made. But today, to me, a rough consensus made - both sides are worthy ideas and compromises need to made rather than a cold cutoff of nearly half a WG. My opinion.