Re: Review of draft-yevstifeyev-ion-report-06

2011-07-15 23:12:11
Hello Harald,

As you could see in one of my previous messages, I did intend to include some analysis in the draft (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg67491.html). However, numerous responses which discouraged me from doing this were received, and including that section will create problems with consensus. However, I share your opinion that the document won't be full, so I think the following analysis section, which is different from the previous proposed one, can satisfy you and everybody else:

3.4. Analysis

   There were a number of reasons which forced IESG to close the IONs
   experiment.  One of them is a complexity of their approval and
   publication, compared with ones for IESG Statements and simple Web
   Pages.  As IONs were intended to represent operational experience,
   they might have needed to be updated quickly.  Even though these
   documents were meant to have a very lightweight approval procedure,
   it could sometimes be inappropriate for that material which was
   contained therein.

   Secondly, due to the nature of the scope of IONs, there was no need
   to allow the access to the revision history (which is unavailable in
   simple Web Pages as well).

   Thirdly, IONs on procedural question could step into the conflict
   with Best Current Practice (BCP) RFCs; moreover, as IONs approval
   procedure did not imply any formal community review, unlike BCPs,
   they could easily fall in the community non-acceptance.

   Correspondingly, it was concluded that the mandate of IONs can fully
   be fulfilled by RFCs, when documenting IETF procedures, IESG
   Statements, when clearing up other issues for which RFC publication
   process is not appropriate, and Web Pages, when dealing with other
IETF-related issues.

Please see other response in-line.