Re: Additional registries converted to XML and announcement of new registry for Service Names and Port Numbers

2011-07-23 05:13:32
Hello,

The new registry says:

  System Ports are assigned by IETF
  process for standards-track protocols, as per [RFC1340].  User Ports
  are assigned by IANA using the "Expert Review" process, as per
  [RFC5226].  Dynamic Ports are not assigned.

I don't understand referencing RFC 1340 here. You could better change this to "System Ports are assigned per "Standards Action" or "IESG Approval" process, as per [RFC5226]". IESG Approval is assumed by the RFC-to-be, Section 8.1:

    o  Reserved numbers and names are generally only assigned by a
       Standards Action or an IESG Approval,

Also, the new registry doesn't seem to match the following rule:

    The new assignment procedure
    conserves resources by assigning a port number to an application for
    only those transport protocols (TCP, UDP, SCTP and/or DCCP) it
    actually uses.  The port number will be marked as Reserved - instead
    of Assigned - in the port number registries of the other transport
    protocols.

Such entries as:

tcpmux               1         tcp    TCP Port Service Multiplexer
[Mark_Lottor]                       [Mark_Lottor]
tcpmux               1         udp    TCP Port Service Multiplexer
[Mark_Lottor]                       [Mark_Lottor]

should be:

tcpmux               1         tcp    TCP Port Service Multiplexer
[Mark_Lottor]                       [Mark_Lottor]
tcpmux               1         udp    TCP Port Service Multiplexer
[Mark_Lottor]                       [Mark_Lottor]
                      1        sctp    Reserved
                      1        dccp    Reserved

etc.

Mykyta Yevstifeyev