Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

2011-07-22 19:19:15

On Jul 22, 2011, at 4:51 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:

1) There are no SRV records.

2) Therefore browsers do not support them.

3) Therefore you'd need to allow for A-lookup as fallback for the forseeable
future.

4) Therefore there's no incentive for browsers to support SRV.

That's pretty much where we were when we grafted SRV onto SIP eleven and a half
years ago, updating earlier SIP drafts (which lacked SRV support). There was no
incentive for SRV support in SIP user agents at the time, either.

See:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sip-srv-00

The first SIP RFC 2543 used SRV, but didn't work very well. RFC 2782 cleaned up
the SRV process somewhat, but we required further documentation for SIP to make
use of it effectively.  It eventually worked itself out as RFC 3263, which also
involved NAPTR records and a slew of other DNS kludges. But barring the
limitations of DNS (some people still want requester-variant answers), it works
pretty well now.

But yes, there's more to effective target resolution than just saying "Use SRV
records". Especially if you have multiple protocol choices, proxies,  aliases,
and TLS in the mix.

--
Dean Willis