Re: DKIM Signatures now being applied to IETF Email

2011-08-01 07:58:00
I find it amazing how many different ways there are to criticize DKIM for not
doing something it was never intended to do.  DKIM is a small building block
that enables new functionality, but such functionality is beyond the scope of
DKIM.

DKIM does one thing, and one thing only:  It uses a cryptographic signature to
associate a domain with a message.  By doing so, it creates strong evidence
that the message passed through that domain at some point and has not been
significantly modified since.

Whether that domain is good guys or bad guys, senders or resenders, Coke or
Pepsi, is completely irrelevant.  It is a small nugget of evidence to provide
an anchor point for forensics stronger than what have come before.  It tells us
that the named domain considered the message reasonable to send or resend, for
its own reasons -- its own forensic evidence, its nefarious intent, or the
phase of the moon.  With such an anchor, we can begin to build stronger and
more robust systems for analyzing the desirability of messages, as we are now
trying to do in the REPUTE work, because it allows us to push our forensic
analysis upstream a bit.  It does not relieve downstream software of the need
to decide how to feel about the signing domain, whether it's a spammer, a
copy-cat, or anyone else.

If, for example, the IETF mailing list software only allows posting by list
members, but itself trusts the sender's header fields, then an IETF DKIM
signature tells me only that the IETF servers think a message passed that test.
 That's obviously not perfect, but it's slightly stronger than what came before
-- it is still possible to forge a message before sending it to the list, but
much harder to forge a message to look as if it came from the list exploder.
That is progress -- very very small, slow, progress.  If, at some point, the
list exploder starts only passing through messages that themselves have valid
DKIM signatures, it will be significantly more progress, but it won't do
anything to stop a spammer from subscribing to the IETF list and
DKIM-authenticating himself.  For that we'll need reputation information --
another small step, which we're trying to initiate with REPUTE.

We've had a long history of grand plans for user authentication on the
Internet.  Those plans have largely failed.  I think an incremental approach
like DKIM has a better chance, but it is obviously vulnerable to being
dismissed by those who see a small improvement as not worth bothering with.
The best is the enemy of the good.  -- Nathaniel