Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-eps-03.txt> (IPv6 in 3GPP Evolved Packet System) to Informational RFC

2011-08-05 12:12:57

I got one comment to our draft. Section 5.4 discusses some known neighbor
discovery issues out there. I forgot to add one that I believe belongs here or
then in Section 5.2; which one I am not sure yet. In Section 5.2 it is said
that the GGSN/PGW provides an unique IID to the UE (i.e. guaranteed not to
collide with GGSN/PGW's one) for the link-local address configuration. However,
numerous modem drivers today fail (or don't even care) to deliver the received
IID to the host OS stack and instead the driver comes up with its own (usually
some imaginary MAC address based one..). Therefore, there is theoretical but
very unlikely chance for link-local address collision between the UE and the
gateway on the 3GPP link. Since the UE may or may not perform DAD this can be
unnoticed during the address configuration phase.

- Jouni