Re: Discuss criteria for documents that advance on the standards track

2011-08-31 10:24:14
Dear Jari,

During the discussion of the two maturity levels change, a question was brought up about DISCUSSes appropriate for documents that advance on the standards track. We discussed this in the IESG and I drafted some suggested guidelines. Feedback on these suggestions would be welcome. The intent is to publish an IESG statement to complement the already existing general-purpose DISCUSS criteria IESG statement (http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html).

Here are the suggested guidelines for documents that advance to IS:

http://www.arkko.com/ietf/iesg/discuss-criteria-advancing.txt

Comments appreciated. Please send comments either on this list or to the IESG (iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org) in time before our next telechat (Thursday, September 8, 2011).

Jari

As with 2119bis, thank you guys for putting this together.

The text in http://www.arkko.com/ietf/iesg/discuss-criteria-advancing.txt
says

  IESG reviews should be considered as a review of "last resort".  Most
  documents reviewed by the IESG are produced and reviewed in the
  context of IETF working groups.  In those cases, the IESG cannot
  overrule working group consensus without good reason; informed
  community consensus should prevail.

I might have thought that the point for documents advancing on the standards
track is that they already have *IETF* consensus (especially if they are
being advanced without text changes), so the IESG cannot overrule *IETF*
consensus without good reason ... which seems like a higher bar (one can more easily assume the existence of a rogue working group producing a rogue Internet-Draft, than a rogue IETF that is still sane enough to NomCom-select non-rogue ADs who will push back on rogue standards-track documents advancing :-)

So perhaps s/informed working group consensus/informed IETF consensus/?

I note that this isn't quite tying the IESG's hands (I'm reading this descriptive text as the moral equivalent of "MUST NOT overrule IETF consensus without good reason", which leaves one hand free).

Spencer