Re: 2119bis

2011-09-01 09:01:42
While we are on the topic of definitions I  hoped to stimulate thinking and we
can reach the conclusion that best meets our needs.

The source parent  document is at the URL on the ANSI web site
http://publicaa.ansi.org/sites/apdl/Documents/Standards%20Activities/International%20Standardization/ISO/ISO_IEC_Directives_Part2.pdf
ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2  Rules for the structure and drafting of
International Standards

George T. Willingmyre, P.E.
President, GTW Associates
Spencerville, MD USA 20868
301.421.4138
www.gtwassociates.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mykyta Yevstifeyev
  To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
  Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:48 AM
  Subject: Re: 2119bis

  George,

  We currently use MUST in regular cases and SHALL when we either want not to
create confusion where non-normative "must" is used or for aesthetic reasons,
eg. to make a requirement look not so strict as MUST implies (even though
formally they both have similar force).  I personally use SHALL when I mean "it
is to be so" and not strict "it is mandatory and obligatory and compulsory and
<...> to be so".

  CAN and CANNOT are an interesting idea, but they have little in common with
conformance.  Current 2119 language, as primarily used in
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1123#page-11>, was intended to clear up the
requirements on support of particular feature(s).  Yes, it is sometimes desired
to express possibility and allowance, but IMO simple "can" and "cannot" are
fine for this purpose.

  I don't actually think Annex H of <I don't know what since you're providing
only part of it> should be referenced in 2119bis.

  Mykyta Yevstifeyev